One of the
in the Mediterranean.
From Piraeus port sail all the coastal lines to the islands of Greece as well as for ports abroad. The port is easily accessible as at the opposite side of the entrance there is the station of Electric Railway (Piraeus – Kifisia line) along with the starting lines of many buses that connect the port with the centre of Athens and the other regions of Piraeus.
Finally, in Piraeus are the Municipal and Veakio Theatre, the Archaeological and Marine Museum, the Pasalimani and Kastela district. All the historical monuments of the centre of Athens are at a close distance.
Kastela is a popular district of Piraeus. It is built round the hill of Prophet Ilia, the higher point of Piraeus and allocates splendid view to Marina Zeas and Mikrolimano. It worths to walk in the regionally graphic streets, to get to know the old neighbourhoods that maintain something from the colour and the perfume of past years. Kastela, because of her preferential place, was considered aristocratic district. The existence of neoclassic buildings gave the region a special physiognomy. In the Prophet Ilia hill is found the open ground VEAKIO municipal theatre, in which every summer are entertained cultural events that include appearances of Greek and foreign troupes and folkloric groups of international fame.In the same region functions also “Bowling Center” that is a pole of attraction for the friends of the game but also for those that they want to enjoy their coffee viewing Saroniko. In the top of the hill is found also the church of Prophet Ilia. Each year the day of his feast, on July 20th, is organised big celebration.
Pasalimani is found in the southern side of central harbour and has a great marketplace. Its Marina roadstead’s many impressively yachts, while in the around region function a lot of restaurants and cafeterias. In the streets around you will meet abundance of commercial shops. Pasalimani at the ancient years was the main harbour of Athens. Its current name was acquired in 18th century, because it was the harbour of Ottoman fleet.
The naval museum of Piraeus is accommodated in a building that was manufactured for this precisely aim. It is found in Marina Zeas. The exhibits of museum cover roughly 3000 years of Greek naval history. In the rooms of the museum you will see effigies of boats, naval tools, various objects, photographs, historical documents that reveal aspects of naval tradition and history of Greece. Of special importance it is the collection of the exhibits that are related with ancient Piraeus, the revolution of 1821, the action of our martial navy in newer history (1912 – 1944) and our commercial shipping.
The archaeological museum of Piraeus is premised in a modern two-storied building that is found in the road Charilaos Trikoupi Street 31. In the halls of the museum are exposed mainly sculptures that were discovered in Piraeus and in Attica’s Coasts. Through the exhibits of museum the history of Piraeus is presented. The periods of acme and decline of the city emerge through the unique samples of art. From the exhibits of museum we can distinguish the five cupreous statues that were discovered in Piraeus in 1959, archaic Kouros of Apollo, the two statues of goddess Artemis, the statue of Athina and a mask of ancient tragedy that is dated by the 4th b.c. century.
The municipal Theatre of Piraeus is found in one of the central points of the city, at Korai street. It was built during the decade 1880, in neoclassic style and it is a work of the architect Ioannis Lazarimou. It is an imposing building that constitutes an absolutely symmetric rectangle of dimensions 34 H 45 m. Particularly impressive architectural elements constitute the entry with propylo, colons Corinthian rhythm and the pediment, but also the internal arrangement of building that impresses the visitors. The theatre was constructed following the model of the “Theatre d’ Odeon of Paris”. The room has horseshoe shape with square, boxes and circle in four levels, total capacity of 1.300 roughly places. The scene of the theatre has dimensions 20m by 14m. with proscenium and space for the orchestra. The height of the scene tower scene is 18m.and the depth of the stage is 9m. The acoustics of theatre is marvellous. The foyer is two-storied and is developed round the petal of the room. Initially it entertained dances of charitable associations and later it was developed in a place for exhibition and lectures. In the Municipal Theatre have been entertained a lot of famous Greek and foreign troupes the lyric and dramatic repertory, as well as dancing groups, musical and choral totals etc.
The Veakio Theatre is located in the area of Kastela, on the hill of Prophet Elias. It was built and started operating in 1969. It was named Veakio in honor of the great Greek actress Aimilios Veakis, who was born in Piraeus. The Beauceo Theater operates in the summer months and hosts significant cultural events. Greek and foreign theaters have performed on stage. It has also hosted concerts by famous artists and folklore groups of international fame.
In the western edge of Pasalimani is found Marina Zeas, one of the biggest marinas of the Mediterranean Sea and is always full with impressive and luxurious yachts. Is also one of the picturesque regions of Piraeus. Marina Zeas has been characterized as a tourist port and a space of Olympic hospitality, because during the Olympic Games, were moored in the ships related with the Games. Bars, restaurants and fish taverns placed round the marina attract those who love the sea food and nightlife. Near the Archaeological museum is found the ruins of Ancient Zeas Theatre that are dated since 4th – 3rd b.c. century.
Mikrolimano is one of the most popular regions of Piraeus and a place of preference by young persons in the wider region of Athens. Abstains hardly one kilometre from Pasalimani and the centre of Piraeus and is located near the Stadium of Peace and Friendship, which was the Olympic Centre during the Olympic Games of Athens 2004. Microlimano means small port and today many fishing boats find shelter and add their own graphical detail in the region. Mikrolimano has history of many centuries. At the antiquity was named as Mounichia and according to the mythology they were protected from the goddess Artemi. It is said in the place that is found today the naval group, existed the goddess temple. By the period of Ottoman domination it was renamed as Tourkolimano. After the liberation of Greece was named Mikrolimano. A name that suits more to its size. Mikrolimano has fans and is a pole of attraction for young and not only visitors. Around Microlimano there are a lot of cafeterias, bars and some of the best restaurants and fish taverns in the city. If you are fan of walks you can enjoy a splendid walk following the coastal road reaching in Pasalimani.
At the opposite of the entry of the central harbour is found the Great building of Electric Railway Station. It is an impressive building that was built in 1929 and it is characterized by his vaulted dome. In his architectural layout is obvious the influences from the stations of European countries that were constructed that period. The building renovated recently and acquired his old glamour. The station of Piraeus operates since 1869, when the Electric Railway Thisio – Piraeus was inaugurated, connecting Athens with her harbour. Its direct adjacency with the harbour of the capital renders it with particular importance.
- Stavros Niarchos 4,1 km.
- Faliro Gulf 3,6 km.
- Acropolis 7,8 km.
- Plaka 12,5 km.
- Ancient Market 12 km.